We are happy to share the Mangalayatan experience with you as you consider admission to The Mangalayatan University.
Extended NCR 33rd Milestone, Aligarh-Mathura Highway, Beswan,
P.O. Box: Aligarh
Uttar Pradesh

Help & Support

Information for the Overseas Students

Pre Arrival Information

The following points will give a quick preview of what all should be taken care of before overseas student look forward to depart their home country:

  • Student should ensure to obtain visa from Indian Embassy/ High Commission.
  • Also assure that they meet Medical fitness standard before they leave your country.
  • Also ensure that they have taken all the required vaccinations (Typhoid Vaccine, Hepatitis Vaccine), to avoid medical complications while they are in India (though it is not mandatory).
  • If there are certain medicines that they are supposed to consume due to any medical reason prescribed by a doctor please carry them along. It is also suggested to carry the prescription of that medicine for any further reference.
  • Request and register with the University International Office for the pick service from the Airport at least two weeks prior to arrival and provide the complete details of flight.
  • Also ensure that they bring the letter of admission issued by the University.
  • Make sure that they carry the originals, copies of their certificates/degrees and 10 passport size photographs.
  • Ensure that their fee has been received by the University and they should carry the fee receipt.
  • They must carry all their money in form of Travellers Cheques, which can be easily redeemed at the airport as well as a number of foreign exchange offices and banks.
  • Keep all the valuables, important documents (Passport, Visa papers) in the Cabin baggage, to avoid the possibility of their getting misplaced during transit.
  • Keep all the contact phone numbers handy in case of need.
  • Temperature ranges between 35 – 45 degree Celsius during summers and 5 – 20 degree Celsius during winters. Here the winter season starts around October or November so the warm material (blankets, quilts, woolens, etc) must be brought accordingly.
  • Whilst everything is available in India, however try to get all that you would require during the initial few days. All the essentials can be availed from the University tuck shops.
  • The electric standard in India works on 240 V. So, ensure that you have an adapter for your mobile or laptop if it operates on a different voltage in your country. Also the electric sockets are 2 or 3 pin so ensure that you carry a converter in case required.

The following material should not be brought:

  • Multimedia Mobiles, Iron, Camera, VCR, Kettle, Other Electrical Appliances

Post Arrival Information

On arrival in India, there are certain points that students should keep in mind.

Customs Formalities: Foreign students in India are generally required to make an oral baggage declaration of the possession of baggage and foreign currency as soon as they land in India.

Under this they are also required to obtain the Currency Declaration Form from the Customs. The students should also fill in the Disembarkation Card (Arrival card) handed over to them by the airline during the course of the flight.

Clearance:There are two channels for clearance:

  • Green Channel: For passengers not in possession of any dutiable articles or unaccompanied baggage.
  • Red Channel: For passengers in possession of dutiable articles or unaccompanied baggage or high value articles. High value articles are to be entered on the tourist Baggage Re-Export Form.

Once an international student is settled, he/she should complete the following formalities and paperwork:

Registration All international students must register themselves with the International Office of Mangalayatan University.

Admission Formalities The International Office of the University should be contacted to take care of the admission formalities. Medical Examination and HIV Test All international students coming to India for studies need to go through a medical test for HIV. The Foreigner’s Regional Registration Office (FRRO) requires this test as a pre-requisite for obtaining the residence permit form.

Registration with FRRO All International students who have come to study in India need to get themselves in The Foreigner’s Regional Registration Office (FRRO) within 14 days of arrival in India (not applicable in the case of Bhutanese and Nepalese students). The University’s International Office helps and guides the students in the registration.

Visa Requirement and Guidelines

  • Foreign Nationals desirous of coming into India are required to possess a valid passport of their country and a valid Indian Visa. The only exceptions are nationals of Nepal and Bhutan who can enter India without a visa.
    (Note: Nepalese nationals need a visa if entering India from China).
  • To study in India it is mandatory for an international student to procure an Indian Student Visa.
  • Visas can be applied for in person or by post (in certain High Commissions/Embassies, it is responsibility of the student to check with particular embassy on postal visa application) to the High Commission of India based in the country from where the candidate intends to depart for India.
  • Applicant need to mention the name of the Institute while applying for the visa, which is then mentioned on the visa.
  • International students taking admission at Mangalayatan University should make sure that the Student Visa is endorsed to Mangalayatan University by the visa issuing authority.
  • A request for change of university or institution subsequently made cannot be considered. In this case you would be required to go back to your home country and apply for a new visa.
  • Also, if you have entered India on basis of documents provided by the University then it is your responsibility to ensure that you directly join and report to the University. The Visa endorsed on the name of the University or obtained on the basis of University documents cannot be used for any other purpose like employment , admission to any other university/college/institute/academy etc or for non-regular (distance/online) mode of education.
  • After reaching the university students have to get the visa verified by the University and have to deposit a copy of the valid visa.
  • It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that throughout his/her study period student is on valid visa.
  • In case the initial visa is not endorsed for the complete duration of the programme or student has to extend the stay because he/she is not able to complete the programme in the stipulated time then the student should apply for the extension of the visa before visa expires.
  • It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that visa should be applied well in advance and time. It generally takes 3-8 weeks to get the Indian Visa thus it is advisable to apply for the visa accordingly and consult the Indian High Commission/Embassy if required.
  • In case a student reports to the university late because of the Visa/Tickets Availability or any other personal issue, no relaxation related to attendance or any favour for completing the assignment, submitting the missed assignments, sitting for the missed examination(s), relaxation in the marks etc. will be given.
  • Students joining the university after the prescribed time period may be denied admission. In such cases the fees etc. deposited by the applicant would be forfeited and further no claim for the expense made for the travelling, visa or any other expense made or hardship suffered by the student will be entertained.
  • Even, after joining the university if the student leaves the country then it is the responsibility of the student to report back at the university on time. It some cases where visa extension is required it is the responsibility of the student to ensure to get the valid visa extension on time. In case student reports to the university late because of the Visa/Tickets Availability or any other personal issue then student will not be provided any relaxation related to attendance, extra time to complete the assignments, opportunity to submit the missed assignments, opportunity to sit for the missed examination(s), relaxation in the marks etc.
  • In case student is expelled from the university or the student decides to leave the programme then an affidavit has to be submitted to the university that he/she will leave India immediately and will not use visa issued on the basis of Mangalayatan University documents to stay in India.
  • University may debar the student to continue attending classes or staying in the university residential facility if student does not maintain a valid visa/ FRRO or does not follow any guidelines issued by the Govt. of India/ Govt. of Uttar Pradesh/University/ any other authority from time to time.
  • For loss of attendance/ academics or any expenditure so occurred because of such action by the university, the student himself will be responsible and no relaxation or benefit may be provided in such cases and all expenditure has to be Bourne by the student.

Disclaimer: Information provided here is based on data/information available on various public domains. It is the student’s responsibility to comply with all Visa or all other formalities as defined by government from time to time. Thus it is advised to visit Ministry of External Affairs website for the most updated information and towards (Instead of towards it should be to avoid) any complications and hassles.

International Help & Support

Mangalayatan University Campus

Extended NCR, 33rd Milestone,
Mathura-Aligarh Highway,
Beswan Aligarh-202145 (U.P) India.


9319888888, 5713258592, 7351002561

International Division

Dr Ajay Kumar Singh Rajput
Director International Affairs
Mangalayatan University



pre-determined queries

What is a Student Visa?

Depending on the purpose of visit, India offers various kinds of visas. Student Visa is a visa specifically for the students wanting to come to India for education purpose. Generally Student Visas are issued for the duration of the academic course of study or for a period of five years whichever is less, on the basis of letters of admission from Universities/recognized colleges or educational institutions in India. However it is the discretion of the Indian High Commission to decide the duration of the Student Visa. The children of NRIs and PIOs cardholders need not procure a Student Visa. Other international students need Student Visa or Research Visa for Doctoral level courses.

What are the pre-requisites for procuring a Student Visa?

To apply/ be eligible for a Student Visa, you need to conform to the following conditions:-

  • If you are on Government of India scholarships, the respective Indian Missions would be advised by Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) to issue a regular Student Visa after your admission in an Indian university/Institute is confirmed.
  • If you are coming as a self-financing student, you need to produce confirmed letters of admission from universities or recognized colleges and institutions in India for obtaining the regular Student Visa.
  • If you are coming as a research student, synopsis of the research project countersigned by the sponsoring institution in India along with letter of approval and No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the concerned Ministries in India should be submitted for necessary visa.

Note: Processing of applications for research may take about three months

Can I get the visa even if I don’t have a confirmed admission letter?

If you are not having confirmation letters of admission from a university or an institution you can get Provisional Student Visa by the Indian Missions abroad, on the basis of provisional letters of admissions. However Provisional Student Visa is valid for 3 months. Within these 3 months, your admission needs to be confirmed otherwise you will have to leave India.

No extension of Provisional Student Visa is permitted.

Can I change my University/ College after coming to India?

You need to mention the name of the Institute while applying for the visa, which is then mentioned on the visa. A request for change of university or institution subsequently made cannot be considered. In this case you would be required to go back to your home country and apply for a new visa.

Can I get my Tourist Visa converted to a Student Visa?

If you come to India on Tourist or any other type of Visa, you cannot get that Visa changed to Student Visa. According to the government regulations, if an international student coming to India on a Tourist or any other type of Visa (except a Student Visa), obtains admission into a university or any institution in India, the student will be required to return to his/her home country and obtain a new visa (i.e. the Student Visa) from the Indian mission there.

Are there any rules and regulations that I need to conform to while applying for Student Visa?

Yes, while applying for the visa you need to keep in mind the following regulations:

  • Passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of intended departure from India should accompany the visa application.
  • Students holding other nationalities (other than the country where applying for visa), should submit proof of long-term (at least three years)/ permanent residence in the country (where applying).
  • For citizen of other countries, a reference has to be made to their country of residence for which an additional fee is applicable and will involve extra processing time. Please refrain from making inquiries about the status of application during this time.

Can I get a Student Visa directly from Indian Missions abroad?

Yes, you can get a Student Visa from Indian Missions abroad, provided you have confirmed admission to a course in a reputed/recognized institute in India.

Where can I apply for the visa?

The visa can be applied for from any of the Indian Embassies / High Commission.

How much is the Student Visa fees?

The Student Visa fees depend on the nationality of the passport holder and type/duration of visa applied. This fees are payable in the local currency as well. Please check with the for exact visa fees

What are the formalities that international students should do on arrival?

International students holding Student Visa of more than 180 days are required to register themselves with the local Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO) within 14 days of arrival.

Is any approval/NOC required from any other Ministry or Department for technical courses?

So far as admission to diploma /degree/post-graduate degree in Engineering and Technology, Architecture & Town Planning, Pharmacy, Applied Arts, MBA, MCA, Hotel Management & Catering Technology are concerned, there is no requirement of NOC from Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).

What should I do for extension of my Student Visa?

In case you want to get your Student Visa extended you should approach the local Foreigner Regional Registration Offices (FRROs)/ District Superintendents of Police (FROs) with authentic certificate, proof of adequate financial standing etc. The Visa can be extended for a period of one year at a time up to the duration of the course or 5 years whichever is less for students pursuing full time and regular course in a reputed and recognized university or institution, subject to due sponsorship by the Institution and nothing adverse against the foreigner.

The following documents are required to be submitted at the time of Visa Extension:

  • Visa Extension form
  • 1 Recent passport size photographs
  • Bonafide certificate from College/University/Institute (In original)
  • Copy of passport/VISA/Registration Book
  • Proof of residence
  • Passport and Registration Book in original.

Mangalayatan University helps in extension of visa of the students who have already been studying in Mangalayatan University Campus.

Can a registered student, who has completed his graduation, get visa extension for Post Graduate courses by FRRO/FRO?

Yes, a registered student, who has completed graduation, can apply for visa extension to pursue a post graduate course from concerned FRRO/FRO cum Superintendent of Police provided he produces an authentic certificate from his/her institution. The International office of Mangalayatan University helps the students in the registration process

If a foreign student who has come on a student visa joins a new course will fresh visa fee be charged from him?

Yes, on permission of undertaking a new course, a fresh visa fee is charged.

Will visa fee be charged from foreign students every year?

  • Visa fee is charged once at the time of issuance of Student Visa for completion of the course or for 5 years whichever is less.
  • In case of ‘Provisional Student Visa’ when a student seeks regular admission in any college/university then onetime fee is charged which is valid for the duration of the course or for 5 years whichever is less.
  • If the visa is issued for a period less than the duration of the course, then the visa would be extended by the concerned authorities without charging any additional fees.

Can foreign students with Indian Student Visa visit the restricted/prohibited areas in India?

Yes, foreign students can visit the restricted and prohibited areas in India after getting a valid Resident Permit as visa alone is not sufficient to visit such places.

Can I pursue studies in M. Phil on student visa?

Yes, for pursuing M. Phil, a Student Visa is required.